Published April 23, 2020
(July 14, 2020)
The Tenney School will be following an Hybrid Flexible approach to school for the 2020-2021 school year. We believe this approach will allow for the most productive environment for student learning while still keeping students and staff healthy. Our Hybrid-Flexible approach will allow students the opportunity to switch daily between in-person and online learning as dictated by personal or community health concerns.
Click here for a detailed video describing how the Hybrid-Flexible model will work at our school.
As a small school featuring one-to-one classes, we will be able to operate school in our facility much sooner than larger schools. Our size and format of learning make The Tenney School less susceptible to person-to-person spread. In addition, our low student density will allow us to institute additional procedures to minimize the possibility of COVID-19 spread. We opened our facility for in-person operations for our 2020 Interim & Summer School Sessions beginning on May 18, 2020. The below procedures will be followed to mitigate the possibility of person-to-person spread in the facility.
Screening will be performed on all students and staff prior to entering the facility. To enter the facility, individuals will confirm they do not have one of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Loss of taste or smell
- Difficulty breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Shaking or exaggerated shivering
- Significant muscle pain or ache
In addition to a screening for symptoms, students and teachers will not come to the facility who have:
- Close contact with someone with confirmed COVID-19, under investigation for COVID-19, or is ill with a respiratory illness
- Just returned from a CDC designated COVID-19 hotspot
Anyone not able to enter The Tenney School facility, will automatically be transitioned to Tenney School Live for the day. If it becomes necessary based on community health information or positive cases in The Tenney School community, all or some of our students and staff can be transitioned to Tenney School Live.
COVID 19 Prevention Procedures:
- Students and teachers must be fever free for 3 days before they are allowed back into the building, or tested COVID-19 negative.
- Students and teachers will wear masks and/or maintain 6 feet of separation while in building. If they do not have a mask, masks will be provided for them. We will provide a tutorial to all staff and students on proper mask procedure and hygiene. (Note: Faculty and students will be allowed to remove masks when they are separated more than six feet from everyone else)
- Students and teachers will be required to wash their hands or use alcohol based sanitizer after each one to one session. Hand sanitizers will we provided at every point of contact.
- One to One classes will be held in rooms that allow for student and teacher to be 6 feet apart.
- Students will remain 6 feet apart while in study hall; both homeroom classrooms and the library will be used to spread students out.
- The campus will be disinfected on a daily basis. Any surfaces used by teachers or students will be wiped down with disinfectant each afternoon after school or each morning before school.
- Dismissal will be staggered; students will not be all released at the same time. Students will remain in homeroom and will be called down one by one when their ride arrives.
- Visitors will not be allowed in the building and parents will not be allowed in the lobby area unless a meeting has been scheduled.
- No deliveries will be allowed. Lunches and snacks need to be brought from home or purchased from the vending machines on campus.
If we are aware that someone testing COVID-19 positive has been in our facility
- That day, we will clean and disinfect all area the individual was known to spend time.
- We will notify all parents, students and faculty of a positive case in our facility.
- We will identify all students and faculty who spent more than 15 minutes within six feet of the COVID-19 positive individual and request they quarantine and get tested.
- We will notify public health
* These procedures may be revised as more information becomes available.